The Cause of Death e-Registry is a vital national statistics database of deaths, including underlying and contributing causes of death in Palestine. The database is located at the Palestinian Health Information Center (PHIC) at the Ministry of Health, and was legally established in 1994 by the Civil Registration Law of 1966.
Based on the recommendations of the National Health Information System Assessment and Strategy conducted by the MoH in 2010-2012, PNIPH intervened in order to:
• Improve the national database of mortality for planning purposes
• Modify the current death notification form
• Build the capacity of staff responsible for filling death notification forms
As part of the improvement, several workshops and meetings were conducted to revise the death notification form (DNF). The form has been modified and standardized for both the West Bank and Gaza, and has been provided to all health facilities. Proper use of the DNF is vital for legal, personal, and vital statistics purposes. Recently, PNIPH began converting the DNF to an electronic platform using the DHIS2 software.
PNIPH, in cooperation with the WHO regional office, used the software ANACONDA for quality assurance, and has maintained quality and sustainability of the registry through the following approaches:
• Designing standard operating procedures for the registry in Arabic and English
• Developing a training manual to be used by medical schools
• Conducting several Training of Trainers (ToT) workshops and training sessions for doctors to improve the quality of diagnoses
• Assigning points of contact at MoH primary health care providers to attend regular meetings and make sure the registry is utilized properly